Internationally renowned expertise in banking and finance law
From navigating and shaping regulatory change to innovative finance solutions for the market's most complex and sophisticated transactions, King & Wood Mallesons' award-winning and independently recognised banking & finance legal team is at the forefront of this highly evolving market.
Whether it's any kind of capital markets transaction (including RMB-denominated bond issues, China's first securitisation transaction, or complex structured products), Australia's most complex corporate restructure, cross-border syndicated loans, working with regulators on setting up financial markets infrastructure or assisting clients to respond to digital disruptions and innovations, we are at the forefront of market developments and have been helping clients adjust and take advantage of this new market reality through a number of award-winning deals and industry firsts.
We work with clients to establish clear commercial objectives and identify what's necessary to deliver them. Beyond traditional banking and finance law, we draw on the sector knowledge and expertise of our full service offering. Then we drive through transactions quickly and effectively with a Finance team renowned for their experience and creativity.
Show moreShow less
Our recent work highlights include advising regulators and industry bodies:
- Australian Securities Exchange on the establishment of the Australian Clearinghouse for over-the-counter derivatives
- Shanghai Gold Exchange on the establishment of its international trading platform in the China (Shanghai) Free Trade Zone
- International Swaps and Derivatives Association(ISDA) on the enforceability under PRC bankruptcy law of close-out netting under the ISDA Master Agreement
- Sole legal advisers to The Hong Kong Association of Banks (HKAB) AML Committee. HKAB is the focal point for consultation on law reform, new legislation and regulatory matters in Hong Kong
- We have also participated in the German initiative to promote Frankfurt as an RMB offshore centre resulting in the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between the People's Bank of China and the German Bundesbank in March 2014 and advised Bank of China Frankfurt Branch (as the appointed clearing bank for Germany) on the German clearing and settlement agreement.
In structured products and capital markets we advised:
- Agricultural Development Bank of China on the first RMB bond issuance by a policy bank in Hong Kong in 2014 – the first RMB Bonds issuance of a policy-oriented financial bank from mainland of China in Hong Kong in 2014
- On the debut covered bond issuance programmes for three out of five Australian banks
- On the First PRC outbound rated and public structured bond transactions backed by a state owned enterprise guarantee
- China Huarong for the Huayuan 2014 Collateralized Loan Obligation Securitisation Trust Scheme-Phase I – the first securitisation project originated by an asset management company since the securitisation market in mainland China re-launched in 2012, and the first CLO transaction in China to solve the issue of real property mortgage transfer
- More than 50% of the largest (by turnover) European issuers of structured products offered in Germany plus other issuers in other countries.
In syndicated corporate / acquisition / leveraged finance, we have worked with clients including:
- Woolworths on a "world first" AUD 400 million syndicated fronted bank guarantee facility backed by global insurers
- Origin Energy's lead underwriting banks on its jumbo AUD 7.4 billion refinancing
- The AUD 7 billion financing of Transurban / AusSuper / Tawreed Investments' successful bid for Queensland Motorways Group - the largest tollroad M&A sale and purchase in Australian history
- A syndicate of banks on the AUD 5.07 billion financing of NSW Ports consortium's successful bid for Port Botany and Port Kembla from the NSW Government - the largest ever single privatisation in New South Wales, Australia
- HK Electric on three-year HK$28.3 billion syndicated term loan facilities with HK$8.7 billion subject to HK Stock Exchange listing approval
- Lion Capital on the €975 million senior, high yield and bridge financing for the acquisition of Picard Surgelés, and senior note refinancing
- Boparan on the £715 million high yield funding, and related bridge financing, for their bid for Northern Foods
- Global banks on a €1 billion syndicated facility to a private equity investment fund.
"Regarding the cross-border deals with complicated transaction structures, the Banking & Finance team are very experienced."
"Possesses a deep bench and stellar expertise across the banking and finance practice area. Particularly accomplished at representing PRC institutions in their roles as lenders and lead arrangers."