Combining global and local dispute resolution and litigation expertise
Disputes are an inevitable part of business. Whether you are involved in a commercial or financial dispute, under regulatory investigation, or simply keen to protect and de-risk your business by ensuring full compliance with internationally applicable legislation and standards, our global dispute resolution team can help. Whatever the situation, our top priority is to understand your business and objectives and to work with you to achieve the best outcome.
In the UAE, our team combines specialist expertise in complex multi-jurisdictional disputes with its particular expertise with disputes arising within, or with a connection to, the UAE and beyond.
Our team has extensive UAE experience. The team represents clients in arbitrations for high-value disputes arising under the rules of the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), the DIFC: LCIA Arbitration Centre and Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce (ADCAC), as well as in disputes arising under the rules of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration (ICC). We act in arbitrations seated in Dubai and other jurisdictions.
Our team also represents clients before the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts, and has acted for clients before the highest DIFC Court, the Court of Appeal; in addition to appearing before the Dubai World Tribunal.
We have extensive experience of sitting as an Arbitrator; both in ad hoc arbitrations and under all of the major institutional rules.
We have specialist expertise in construction, fraud, shareholder and telecoms disputes, as well as in regulatory and internal investigations, with a special focus on internationally applicable anti-corruption legislation, and international and local sanctions. We are well accustomed to working with clients operating in high risk jurisdictions and have a track record of working with clients to overcome the challenges that can arise. We are specialists in advising on resisting the enforcement and/ or challenging Arbitral Awards.
Show moreShow less
Advising on high-value, complex cases
Our dispute resolution and litigation lawyers deal with disputes that are amongst the highest value and most complex arising in the region. Whatever the case, we focus on one thing: your goals and business objectives: we use our knowledge of the applicable international and national frameworks, to achieve them. Our team has a reputation for dedicated client service, and for using innovative approaches to attain goals.
For dispute resolution and litigation the primary areas of our expertise in the UAE and wider Middle East include:
- International arbitration, including obtaining ancillary relief in support of arbitration
- Domestic Arbitration with a particular focus on the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait
- International litigation, co-ordinated from the Middle East, with particular expertise with disputes concerning interests in the Russia and CIS, and global interests in African nations, as well as the interests of individual nation states
- Domestic litigation, including: disputes arising under the jurisdiction of the Dubai International Financial Centre; and coordinating litigation strategy, and working with local lawyers, in respect of matters before the Courts of Dubai and Dubai World Tribunal
- Interlocutory freezing and search orders and other protective measures.
The sectors in which we have particular expertise include:
- Construction and infrastructure disputes
- Fraud and asset tracing
- Public and private international law
- Partnership, shareholder and joint venture disputes
- Anti-corruption legislation and national and international sanctions regimes
- Regulatory investigations
- Telecommunications and media disputes.
Clients benefiting from our advice include multiple high profile Middle Eastern Governmental entities and financial institutions; and major international corporates.
Highlights of the work of our Dubai based dispute resolution team include:
- Representing a high profile Government-owned entity providing public and private services to Dubai, in multiple high value construction disputes arising under the International Federation of Consulting Engineer (FIDIC) Yellow, Silver and Red Book, in disputes before the Dubai International Arbitration Centre
- Representing a high profile Dubai Government-owned entity in an arbitration claim before the Technology and Construction Court and Court of Appeal of England and Wales, concerning issues arising under the United Kingdom Bribery Act 2010
- Representing a Government-owned entity in a high profile arbitration claim testing the jurisdiction of the DIFC Court, both before the DIFC Court of First Instance and DIFC Court of Appeal
- Representing a major Government-owned real estate developer in a high value contract dispute concerning The Palm Jumeirah, arising under the DIAC Rules
- Representing a prominent Dubai property developer in a high-value adjudication concerning the JCT Standard Building Contract Without Quantities 2011
- Advising an internationally renowned international telecommunications client with regard to compliance with Iranian sanctions and transactions concerning Iran
- Representing Dubai’s largest real estate developer, Nakheel, in proceedings by its former CEO at the Dubai World Tribunal
- Acting for a global telecommunications provider in arbitral proceedings valued at USD 165m involving complex issues of Saudi, UAE and English law.
"One of the best litigation firms in the UAE"