Chris is a special counsel who has a diverse practice, assisting clients with complex and innovative transactions and providing strategic legal advice. His main focus is financial services law (in particular securitisation, covered bonds, derivatives and funds) but Chris also has experience in advising both private and public sector clients on commercial contracting and corporate governance issues.
Chris' financial services practice involves extensive work in the areas of securitisation and structured finance. Chris' experience in this field covers a range of asset classes and he has acted for a wide range of market participants including Australian and foreign banks, trustees, asset originators and borrowers. He has been involved in significant Australian and international transactions, including acting for ANZ on the establishment of its USD 20 billion global covered bond programme in November 2011 and acting for CBA on the issuance of residential mortgage-backed securities out of its Medallion Trusts securitisation programme in 2011 and 2012.
Chris' expertise in the area of managed funds includes the establishment, structuring and offering of products, licensing issues and the general administration of funds. He has acted for various participants in the Australian funds industry, including BT Funds Management Limited and Macquarie. In 2012, Chris acted for BT Funds Management Limited on the establishment of its ‘Protect to Grow' capital protection product for BT Wrap.
Chris has also advised various Canberra clients in relation to financial services and corporate and commercial matters. For example, Chris has advised ActewAGL in relation to various options for raising finance, corporate governance issues under the Territory-owned Corporations Act and has advised the Australian National University in relation to the financing arrangements for its Student Accommodation projects and matters relating to derivative contracts.
Show moreShow less
- ActewAGL - Advised on ActewAGL's various options for raising finance. This involved developing a range of possible alternatives that could be accommodated under the regulatory framework of the Territory-owned Corporations Act 1990 and the complexities arising from its status as a general law partnership
- ActewAGL - Advised on matters relating to derivative contracts, including relevant issues under the standard form ISDA Master Agreement and its application to a general law partnership
- Australian National University - assistance with financing arrangements in connection with the development of Student Accommodation projects, including review of proposed facility documentation
- Australian National University - assistance with matters relating to derivative contracts, including issues relevant to ANU under the standard form ISDA Master Agreement and particular issues relating to the entry into certain types of derivative products such as foreign exchange and currency transactions. This work required an understanding of the ISDA framework and unique issues in relation its application for a statutory body such as the ANU
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited - Chris was a senior team member advising on the establishment of its USD 20 billion global covered bond programme and assisted ANZ in relation to various bond issues out of that programme into the Australian, US, Swiss and Sterling markets. Chris assisted ANZ with drafting and negotiating many of the core documents forming part of this programme. The process of establishing this programme involved working to an extremely tight time frame and liaising with multiple parties around the globe. Under this programme ANZ successfully issued the first covered bonds ever to be issued by an Australian bank
- Suncorp Metway-Limited - Chris was also a senior team member advising Suncorp on the establishment and successful first domestic issue out of its USD 5billion covered bond programme in May 2012. Chris was responsible for drafting and negotiating a number of the bond documents and the documents for related derivative transactions. As a result of this transaction, Suncorp became the first Australian bank outside of the ‘big-four' to issue a covered bond
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia - Advising CBA in relation to its A$ 3 billion residential mortgage-backed securities issuance under its Medallion Trusts securitisation programme in March 2011 (Medallion Trust Series 2011-1) and its A$ 1 billion issuance under that programme in August 2012 (Medallion Trust Series 2012-1). The 2011-1 transaction involved an innovative soft-bullet fixed rate note tranche and was the first Australian securitisation transaction to comply with the new risk retention rules under the European Capital Requirements Directive. For both transactions, Chris had primary carriage of drafting and negotiating the transaction documents.
- January 2013 - present: Special Counsel, King & Wood Mallesons, Canberra
- March 2012 - December 2012: Senior Associate, King & Wood Mallesons, Canberra
- July 2007 - March 2012: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Canberra
- 2005 - 2007: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Canberra
- 2001 - 2005: Solicitor, Allens Arthur Robinson, Sydney
- 2000: Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Australian National University
- 1998: Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University.