David Bell is a partner in our Brisbane office where he practises in the areas of commercial property, infrastructure and energy and resources.
David specialises in commercial property sales, acquisitions, leasing and developments, property trusts, significant infrastructure, resource and energy projects, tourist and other special facilities developments. He has acted in both Sydney and Melbourne and regularly advises clients such a QGC (a BG group company), Telstra, Gladstone Ports Corporation, GE Real Estate, Australand and South Bank Corporation.
David also has extensive experience in property-related insolvency workouts and distress sales of commercial and rural property and businesses, both for receivers and managers, administrators and major banks.
David is ranked as a pre-eminent or leading Lawyer in Chambers Legal, Best Lawyers and Doyle’s Guide and is recognised as a leading lawyer for Real Property Law, Construction/Infrastructure, Government Practice and Leasing Law in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in Australia. Chambers Asia Pacific noted David is “really smart, a good negotiator, calm, measured and cost-conscious".
- 1990: Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Queensland University of Technology
- 1991 - 1994: Articled Clerk and Solicitor, Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Brisbane
- 1994 - 1997: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Brisbane
- 1997 - 2003: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Brisbane and Sydney
- 2004 - 2012: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Brisbane
- 2012 - Present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Brisbane.
- Queensland Government Acted on all 5 Queensland Government asset sales, being the acquisition of Forestry Plantations Queensland by Hancock Timber Resource Group, the financing of the successful bidder for Port of Brisbane, the financing of a bid for the Abbot Point Coal Export Terminal (T1), the IPO for QR National and QIC’s acquisition of Queensland Motorways Limited
- Gladstone Ports Corporation Development of the Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal, Gladstone
- APA and AGL Consortium Development of the 242 MW gas-fired Diamantina power station at Mount Isa, Queensland
- BG Group / QGC QCLNG project, including midstream (Curtis Island, Gladstone) and the upstream (gasfields) aspects of the project
- South Bank Corporation The continued development of the master planned, mixed use urban precinct, including the ABC, SW1, Rydges Hotel and South Point developments
- Acted for the successful bidder for the CLEM 7 PPP project and an unsuccessful bidder for the Airport Link PPP project
- Springfield Land Corporation Development of Greater Springfield, including the development of Education City, Delfin Springfield Lakes and the Polaris Data Centre
- Brisbane Airport Corporation Continued development of Brisbane Airport, including the Qantas 767 heavy maintenance hangar, the Virgin Blue domestic terminal, maintenance hangar and flight simulator facility, the Direct Factory Outlets centres and a number of distribution centres
- GE Real Estate Purchases and sales of various Brisbane CBD buildings at 201 Charlotte Street, 260 Queen Street, 179 North Quay, 127 Creek Street, 121 Wharf Street, 40 Tank Street and 555 Coronation Drive
- AMP Sale of entities of Waterfront Place and Eagle Street Pier, Brisbane to Stockland and the purchase of Garden City, Mt Gravatt and Pacific Fair, Broadbeach shopping centres
- DaySun Australia Purchase and subsequent sale of Wintergarden Centre and Hilton Hotel, Brisbane, Shangri-la Hotel, Gold Coast and the Novotel Palm Cove Resort
- Mulpha Australia Purchase of Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast
- Stockland Purchase of the Lensworth property portfolio from the Fosters Brewing Group
- P&O Australia Purchase of Brampton, Dunk, Bedarra and Lizard Islands, North Queensland
- Sale and purchase of Brisbane CBD buildings for various clients, such as 215 Adelaide Street and Rowes Arcade, MLC Centre, 15 Adelaide Street and 324 Queen Street (ANZ Centre).
- Queensland Law Society
- Property Council of Australia.
- Commercial Property Transactions Lawyer of the Year in Australia - Queensland, 2021 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award
- Leading Lawyer in Real Property Law, Construction / Infrastructure Law, Government Practice and Leasing Law - 2021 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Australia
- Preeminent Queensland Lawyer, Property & Real Estate Lawyers - 2020 Doyles Guide of Leading Property & Real Estate Lawyers Australia
- Band 4 - Real Estate - Chambers and Partners Australia Pacific, 2020