Sam acts for clients in complex commercial disputes in a broad range of areas, including contentious restructuring and insolvency, financial services, banking and finance and mining and resources.
Sam has extensive regulatory experience, including investigations involving ASIC, the Corruption and Crime Commission and other large scale investigations.
Sam also has substantial consumer law experience, including in relation to defending class actions.
- Advising the minority interest holders in a substantial forestry business in relation to the forcible dilution of their interest in the business, including claims against the majority interest holders and associated security holders for oppression and lack of good faith and unconscionable conduct.
- Advising a manufacturing company on the defence of a large consumer law class action.
- Advising the former directors of a company in relation to the defence of a claim for misleading and deceptive conduct regarding financial disclosures.
- Advising a joint venture participant in relation to a dispute regarding entitlements under an iron ore shipping contract in respect of a large Western Australian mine.
- Advising a mining services contractor in relation to a dispute with a Mongolian state owned mining company regarding the performance of a mining services contract.
- Advising a substantial industrial company regarding a breach of duty claim to recover misappropriated funds from a former director.
- Advising a major engineering company in relation to the defence of a substantial preference claim by the liquidators of a major construction company.
- Advising a major Australian bank in relation to the enforcement of security with respect to a substantial industrial plant.
- Advising in relation to the restructuring of an ASX listed company, including a DOCA in Australia and a scheme of arrangement in Africa.
- Acting for employees of a company in relation to an ASIC investigation involving allegations of bribery.
- 2004: Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Western Australia
- 2004: Bachelor of Arts (Hons), University of Western Australia
- Business Law Council’s Insolvency and Reconstruction Law Committee
- The Law Society of Western Australia