Commercially focused and solution-orientated legal advice for fund structuring
In China and internationally, leading private equity firms and industry participants look to King & Wood Mallesons to assist them with fund structuring issues.
Tax efficiency is an integral element of successfully structuring funds and managing fund investment portfolios. Working closely with our private equity team, our tax team provides legal advice on private fund structures, as well as on entry and exit strategies.
Cutting through complexity
In fund structuring, there are complex issues to consider – including regulatory, tax and international structuring issues. Our lawyers work closely with colleagues in Hong Kong and our other international offices and are well versed and experienced in advising on these issues.
We have pioneered many structures in China and are constantly looking for new solutions to assist our clients in this tightly regulated area of practice. The funds that benefit from our advice include private equity, debt funds, real estate funds, infrastructure funds and funds of funds.
Our clients include global major private equity funds, and top-tier domestic funds, investing in both onshore and offshore projects. We advise them on all aspects of law relating to fund formation, including:
- Fund structuring to achieve overall tax efficiency
- PRC legal opinions and tax disclosures for fund registration
- Negotiating local incentives for fund formation
- Tax planning for project investment and exit strategies
- Tax due diligence for merger and acquisition transactions and equity disposal
- Tax issues relating to Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor (QFII), Renminbi Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor (RQFII) and Qualified Domestic Institutional Investor (QDII) status.