Minimise your risks with expert competition, trade and regulatory legal advice
Competition, trade and regulatory laws are evolving all the time, and their impact on business strategy is increasing. We offer expert competition and antitrust legal advice that will help you navigate the changing global market.
Across Europe, China and Australia, regulatory authorities are now exercising a broad range of powers to investigate commercial arrangements between competitors, distributors and suppliers, cartels, mergers, and abuses of dominant market positions. Companies are treading carefully preparing and planning ahead for impending regulatory reforms. It is now more important than ever to ensure that your competition law compliance affairs are in order.
Full-service legal advice
The European Commission and the increasing activity of the Spanish competition authorities have made this a vital area for any company. Our competition lawyers in Madrid provide full-service legal advice across all areas of competition law. Thanks to close links with our Brussels office, they can also advise you on regulatory, public procurement and international trade issues.
Our team has extensive experience in preventive advice and also represents clients in administrative competition infringement proceedings and competition litigation before national and EU courts. This gives you legal certainty on your activities and minimises the risk of any fines.
Our areas of expertise in competition, trade and regulatory law include advising on, among others:
- Merger control
- Anti-competition law (cartels, vertical agreements), abuse of dominance and unfair competition
- Infringement proceedings before the European Commission, the National Markets and Competition Commission (CNMC) and regional competition authorities
- Judicial proceedings before national and European courts
- Issues related to both the public procurement and state aid compliance
- EU regulatory issues and international trade
- Competition compliance programmes and internal audits
Show moreShow less
Broad client experience
We advise all sorts of clients in very different sectors – including large multinational companies, domestic companies, investment funds, trade associations, financial institutions and public bodies. Clients we have advised in recent years include, among others, the American Bureau of Shipping, Nestlé Spain, European Institute of Innovation and Technology, PT Musim Mas, Thai Union/MW Brands, Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique, Consejo General de Procuradores, Pérez Rumbao, Instituto de Promocion de la Carne Vacuna Argentina, Pescafina, etc.
Recent highlights include providing Visa Europe with regulatory and competition legal advice.
We also represented CMA-CGM and its Moroccan subsidiary COMANAV in an appeal against the €14 million fine imposed by the CNMC. And we represented car rental company Sixt in the infringement proceedings brought by the CNMC.
Our other experience includes:
- Providing merger advice to the Portuguese energy group EDP and its subsidiaries in Spain on the potential acquisition of E.ON Spain
- Advising the Grupo Antolín on EU customs law
- Providing State aid advice to the successful bidder in the acquisition of the Valencia Football Club, the Singapore businessman and investor Peter Lim
- Representing Sonae Industria and its Spanish subsidiary Aserraderos de Cuellar on cartel infringement proceedings brought by the CNMC in the processed wood sector
- Representing the Nutrinveste group and its subsidiary Sovena in the creation of a joint venture in the edible oil sector.
"King & Wood Mallesons, Ramón García-Gallardo has ‘very good knowledge of Spanish and EU competition legislation’, and is ‘very pragmatic’. Recent work includes acting for a Spanish wine association in infringement proceedings over an alleged cartel in the grape supply market."